Wednesday, September 17, 2008

We're Evacuees

We're at my grandmother's house now. We got here yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon. We left the house at 11:00 AM and didn't get here until about 6:00 PM. It is supposed to be a 4 hour trip, but took us 7 hours...which is still so much better than the 18 hours it took us to get here when we evacuated during Hurricane Rita. It took us an hour to get to Cleveland because of all of the traffic lights being out. I think that we counted about 30 trucks between Dayton and Cleveland that were either tree trimming services or electric companies from tons of other states.

We stopped in Cleveland at Dairy Queen because it was the only place to eat that was open. They were only selling chicken finger baskets or steak finger baskets, we put in our order and sat and waited. It was a little over an hour before we got our food. Once we hit the interstate in Conroe, it was smooth sailing from there. We stopped at Gene's office to visit with him and headed to grandmom's house. We'll be here until we get electricity or mom has to go back to school. Dad and Jeremy stayed home. Jeremy's office didn't lose electricity so he's having to go in this week.

I don't have any pictures of the storm yet because I forgot to bring my adapter to download my pictures. I'll have to either go get another one or wait until we have power at home to put my pictures and videos on the blog. The storm wasn't too bad in Dayton, especially compared to Galveston. We had alot of trees that fell...some on houses and some crossing the roads and in yards. Nothing happened to our house, we just have some yard work to do because the back yard is a mess. Jeremy's parent's house is fine and so is my parent's house. Their next door neighbor had a tree go through a room in their house and the neighbor beside them had a tree hit the roof and cause damage, but it didn't go all of the way through. We were very blessed to have no damage.

Well, I guess that is all of the news. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

2 comments:

Jessica Adams said...

I am glad you are all safe and so are your houses!!! Tell your grandmom "hi" from me and kitty!!!

Lisa Youngblood said...

Julie, So glad you guys are ok. You can stop by my house on your way home. LOL! Cameron, TX 76520